Tesla's moon stunt begins to impact profitability

In the news today
Boss larry

On the night of February 7, just hours after one of its cars was sent hurtling toward Mars, Tesla reported its fourth-quarter earnings for 2017. It posted $276.7 million in losses for that quarter—that’s a good chunk of change to lose, but it’s a small price compared to the $1.4 billion Tesla spent in quarter three.

Tesla is also planning for a fully autonomous vehicle to complete a coast-to-coast drive sometime in 2018, although similar plans made more than a year ago never came to fruition. It opened 12 Tesla stores in Q4, making a network of 330 dealers worldwide. Then, Tesla’s Mobile Service fleet also increased to 230. It claims that Mobile Service is available all over North America and costs less than repairs made at a traditional service center.

Tesla acknowledged plans to produce both the Semi and Roadster but did not state when they may be expected to go into production. It will test the Semi in the real world by using them to deliver Model 3 components to its Gigafactory.

Username

I am yet to trust technology enough with my life and think the autopilot is dumb because it would cause more accidents. Humans take half a second to respond to something, and the Tesla probably takes about 1ms. Humans tailgate and take corners too fast and cause their car to spin out of control, the Tesla does not. Humans take their eyes off the road and get distracted by scenery, etc, and the Tesla does not. Scratch my first sentence, maybe I can put my life on the line here. :