How to bypass Respondus Lockdown browser?

Solutions to everyday questions
EfazKhan

fairytale wrote: October 5th, 2018, 6:40 pm Guys

You should try running the program on a Linux host machine and not a VM as the Respondus Lockdown Browser patch seem to recognize virtual machines now.

To do this, you'll need to run Linux Os as a second local host OS as opposed to virtual machines as relayed in previous posts although I still get proof from foruminers about how they are able to bypass the lockdown browser the native way. Doing this should solve any issues with VMs.

In case you need help to set a Windows/Linux dual boot on your pc, this video should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNeJvujdB-0
The Respondus installer is an .exe file. Can Linux run this file?
lakerz690

EfazKhan wrote: October 6th, 2018, 4:24 pm
lakerz690 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 2:05 pm
lakerz690 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I used the exact version of Oracle VM and Debian 9 a couple days ago. Respondus won't even let you install on it becuase it says the OS is not supported. So for me that route is not working.
Update, I'm going to try fairytales route right now, with the dual boot with Linux. For some reason I was trying to use Ubuntu.
The left Alt+Tab + right Alt + Tab seems to work for me on my Windows 10 laptop. Then if u do three finger swipe on the trackpad, u can select recent app like chrome.
Yea I tried that method as well, which did work. I'm just paranoid of being flagged or my teacher actually watching the video and possibly hearing me constantly jam the Ctrl and Alt keys. A lot of her question I actually have to type out my work, most aren't just multiple choice.
EfazKhan

lakerz690 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 6:49 pm
lakerz690 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Update, I'm going to try fairytales route right now, with the dual boot with Linux. For some reason I was trying to use Ubuntu.
The left Alt+Tab + right Alt + Tab seems to work for me on my Windows 10 laptop. Then if u do three finger swipe on the trackpad, u can select recent app like chrome.
Yea I tried that method as well, which did work. I'm just paranoid of being flagged or my teacher actually watching the video and possibly hearing me constantly jam the Ctrl and Alt keys. A lot of her question I actually have to type out my work, most aren't just multiple choice.
Mine are all multiple choice. So any kind of typing will be suspicious :cry: I will put my headphones plugged in to prevent the typing noise being recorded
lakerz690

EfazKhan wrote: October 6th, 2018, 7:00 pm
lakerz690 wrote: October 6th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Mine are all multiple choice. So any kind of typing will be suspicious :cry: I will put my headphones plugged in to prevent the typing noise being recorded
Would that actually work? Wouldn't you technically need to plug in a mic headset in order for the original laptop mic to transfer over to use sound off the headset? Would it be flagged? The easier way would to just cover up your mics with tape, but idk if Respondus would flag you becuase there is no sound being recorded. You also have to do a mic check prior to taking the exam, but you can always cover the mics up with tape after, that is if it doesnt find anything supicious.
CoreyStevenson

How can I even do this with a MacBook Pro? I feel like the new route fairytale described would be impossible for me and other Mac users. If I do seem to install do I have to uninstall respondus and then install it again?
Nightingale

If you are a Mac user and you intend to successfully bypass respondus lockdown browser, I'll advice that you save yourself the stress and get you a cheat hp or dell laptop runnung windows or linux on ebay.

I got one from Ebay late August and religously studied every step right described by the obvious bright brains on this thread from the beginning of this thread while watching the videos attached attentively. It eventually works still... thank you!!
Gretianiomoni

So once I'm running a linux distro (say ubuntu?) what is the next thing I need to do to bypass?
Testedok
GIad I found a website like Forumine. Just a small story about me... I just transferred universities and one of my classes this term requires all our in class tests be taken using this program on a personal laptop. No, the teacher won't give me a paper copy, and no I can't use a school PC for this.

To be clear, no, I'm not trying to cheat. For one thing, we're taking the dang thing in class anyways. I just don't think the school has any business on my computer, or observing what I do outside the classroom/at home. I'm sure most of you have seen the articles on exactly that happening before. Anyways, this sub isn't for tech support, but I would definitely like some ideas to help keep this shoot from overstepping its bounds.

My first instinct was virtualbox since my laptop runs Linux anyways (no Linux version either of course), but it checks the CPUID info, motherboard vendor, and possibly something else to detect a VM. I bypassed the CPUID check, but ran out of luck soon after. No luck changing mainboard info. It might check something else, but this thing barely works as is so I doubt it.

Sandboxie appears to work kind of ok, as I can tell it is prevented from modifying the host OS or files, but it still has read access to my files, mic, and camera (I can't tape over it on my laptop, or I would) and that isn't ideal. I don't think it can autostart, but to be honest I don't know how effective sandboxie is in the first place, and most of the concert here is file and mic access anyways.

A family member also has an old Ipad which supposedly would be compatible with their IOS version. I don't know anything about how IOS works, but I really don't want to either bleep up their current OS install with this, or have it spy on them instead. If someone who knows more than me about the IOS permission system could chime in on what exactly it would be capable of, that would be very helpful.

I also thought to clone the user agent string onto firefox and use that, but I don't know how to capture it since the browser can only access the college homepage and linked sites.

Anyways, that's what I've thought to try. If anyone has any other ideas (or an alternate method of bypass), I would really love to hear them. I read so many fantastic ideas here as well so far
Username

If it is capable of injecting itself into the MBR or EUFI/BIOS, it poses a very real risk even if you run dual boot. It's interesting it doesn't work inside a VM. Even some of the most DRM infected applications manage to run there. I wouldn't install this software period.

If forced, have them give you a laptop to run the test on.

I took a quick look at the invasive "LockDown Browser" by extracting the Setup. Seems to be a customized version of Google Chrome. Perhaps most interestingly is the fact they do not give any credit to Chrome in their license file. Pretty sure that's a license violation.

What they do mention in their license file is this gem:
Data Collection

Respondus collects data to operate effectively and to strive to provide you with the best experience with LockDown Browser. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you contact us for support. Some data is obtained by recording how you interact with LockDown Browser by, for example, receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device. Some data is obtained by how you interact with the assessment delivery system, such as the amount of time spent answering a question. The data we collect within the Help Services depends on the features you use, and includes the following:

Webcam & Microphone Check. The webcam and microphone check streams video and audio from your webcam to the Respondus servers. The video and audio can then be played back by you to ensure the webcam and microphone are working properly. The video and audio recorded during the webcam and microphone check is stored in temporary cache on the Respondus server and is automatically deleted in about an hour. Persistent storage is not used for these recordings, and Respondus does not provide a way to electronically identify the recordings as being transmitted from a specific user.

System Check. The System Check gathers certain information from your computing device, the networking environment, and the institution's Learning Management System.

All data gathered during the System Check is presented to you on your screen, including a unique System Check ID. The System Check does NOT contain username, user ID, or the password used to access the institution's Learning Management System.

You have the option to send System Check results by email, and if so, you must enter an email address for the recipient of the email message. If the System Check results are sent by email, log files from software of LockDown Browser are additionally transmitted to a Respondus server. Log files contain details of the interaction between LockDown Browser and your institution's Learning Management System, from the time you log into the Learning Management System using LockDown Browser until the session is exited or terminated. Log files are stored locally on your computer in an encrypted format and, if transmitted to Respondus, are sent in encrypted format over HTTPS. Log files do NOT contain user name, user ID, or the password used to access the institution's Learning Management System.

System Check data and log files may be sent to a Respondus web server or a third party cloud server for storage and further processing by Respondus. Respondus may use System Check data and log files to assist you with a technical issue. Respondus may also aggregate and analyze the System Check data to, for example, improve the Software or its technical support services. System Check data and log files aren't sold, distributed, or made available to affiliate or third party businesses.
It is illegal to force data collection in some jurisdictions, especially on a student's personal property. I think there's a very real legal opportunity here. Try contacting the EFF?
Boss larry

You could simply dual boot another OS. It would take a small chunk of disk space, but it would essentially be like your VM idea only on native hardware. Encrypt your day to day partition if you are worried the program will sniff files across that boundary.

OR

f you dont want to install windows on your harddrive and have the money you could get a Workspace USB drive and boot windows from there.

Kingston DTWS/64GB DataTraveler Workspace USB Drive - its over 150 $ thou